Request for Ideas

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Fri Jan 26 11:02:43 PST 2007

Hi Tenneson!

What a great list you have already generated.  What about also addressing
some of the needs of learners with non-dominant styles—the emotional
learners and the kinesthetic crowd.   Emotional learners can be challenging
to accommodate in a traditional conference, but you could create a
reflection room where folks could go to quietly reflect on how they feel
about what they are learning and also to make notes in their journals.  If
you provided some exercise balls as alternate seating for the regular
settings, this can help the doers in the crowd. Also a toy or play table
with some art supplies for drawing or painting or cutting.  Things like that
which support non-dominant modes and left-right integration.

And in terms of deepening relationships and learning from others, is there a
way to introduce a random element? I have found that introducing a random
element can really support folks in getting out of their usual patterns.
For example, generating random pairings of participants and inviting them to
believe that they have something very important to learn from each other
over the conference time.  They don’t have to go around together or
anything, but it can support folks in stretching their antennae a bit
farther and noticing and wondering more.

Cheers,

Wendy

  _____