Request for Ideas

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Fri Jan 26 11:35:47 PST 2007

Building on Wendy's ideas a little...

I worked last year helping a small group design a conference.  They started
with a cafe around the question of "what did you come here looking for?" or
something like that, the idea being that everyone develop a key question for
themselves to open themselves up and ground their reason for being.  I think
after the cafe then everyone was invited to turn their name tags around and
write on the back of the name tag - the balnk side - what theoir question
was.  Then people just walked around for two days like that, going to
sessions, but displaying their questions instead of their names.  Every so
often two people would connect around an inquiry, and introduce themselves
(which is a far more civilized way of becoming acquainted).

Anyway, it worked well...could work nicely with Wendy's idea of making those
questiontags glow with art materials.
Chris

On 1/26/07, Wendy Farmer-O'Neil <wendy at xe.net> wrote:

>  Hi Tenneson!
>

> What a great list you have already generated.  What about also addressing
> some of the needs of learners with non-dominant styles—the emotional
> learners and the kinesthetic crowd.   Emotional learners can be challenging
> to accommodate in a traditional conference, but you could create a
> reflection room where folks could go to quietly reflect on how they feel
> about what they are learning and also to make notes in their journals.  If
> you provided some exercise balls as alternate seating for the regular
> settings, this can help the doers in the crowd. Also a toy or play table
> with some art supplies for drawing or painting or cutting.  Things like that
> which support non-dominant modes and left-right integration.
>

> And in terms of deepening relationships and learning from others, is there
> a way to introduce a random element? I have found that introducing a random
> element can really support folks in getting out of their usual patterns.
>  For example, generating random pairings of participants and inviting them
> to believe that they have something very important to learn from each other
> over the conference time.  They don't have to go around together or
> anything, but it can support folks in stretching their antennae a bit
> farther and noticing and wondering more.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Wendy

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation