What do you do while your holding space?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sat Jan 6 21:56:06 PST 2007

Ralph--

My list would look a lot like yours.   I have taken walks and naps, looked
out the window, written bad poetry, typed a list of session titles, felt myself
holding space, watched what was going on, occasionally slip into a session in
a "listening only" mode, picked up coffee cups, tracked down abandoned flip
charts, thought about why this works, critiqued my opening, answered or refused
to answer questions.   I sometimes confer with the caterers, find missing
supplies, or tend to a need for more heat or fresh air in the meeting room.  I've
never talked on the phone or gassed my car.   I have occasionally stopped
people from taking down posters "because the session is over" or rearranging the
wall to suit their particular desires.   I drink lots of water and coffee, and
eat when I am hungry so I don't get fuzzy in the brain.

This week, I was glad for all the practice in holding space, as several
people in my extended family found themselves in crisis situations and needed
someone to hold space while they figured out how to deal with the crisis.   There
are a lot of situations that need someone to just stay present, and not jump
right to problem-solving, and I was grateful for the hours I have spent in
meeting rooms doing just that.

Joelle