What do you do while your holding space?

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Sat Jan 6 19:11:36 PST 2007

What do you when you¹re holding the space?

Some things I have done while I was holding space...

* Called my office
* Called  my wife, sister, kids, friends
* Called Harrison
* Surfed the web
* Went for a walk
* Wrote bad poetry
* Did self-critique of my opening
* Sorted papers from my briefcase
* Gone out to fill my car with gasoline
* Napped
* Gazed out a window
* Pretended I was not looking at a very attractive woman
* Sat around and did ³nothing²
* Sipped tea or juice
* Stopped someone from ripping down other people¹s posters (happened just
one time)
* Felt the feeling of holding space (happens a lot)
* Fought off boredom
* Watched with fascination
* Thought a lot about why this works
* Sat in on one of the sessions (very, very rarely)
* Listened with surprise
* Made this list of things I do while I¹m holding space
* Picked up coffee cups, water bottles, etc.
* Answered questions about open space
* Typed up the a list of posted sessions
* Answered participants¹ questions, such as...
> * Where is the so-and-so session?
> * Have you seen (a specific person)?
> * Do you do this all the time?
> * What do I do with these (flip chart pages)?
> * I¹ve just arrived, what do I do?
> * Have you ever worked with (names another large group technique)?
> * There are two sessions that have the same title, what should we do?
> * Will it be alright if I leave early?
> * What¹s going to happen next after all this?
> * How would you compare our group to other groups?
> * What have you been doing while we were meeting?

                And my favorite:

            € What exactly are we paying you to do?

Ralph Copleman