using a wiki to post OS topics before Opening the Space]

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Jan 1 22:13:34 PST 2007

what i usually tell clients is that an OS meeting is a fantastic
opportunity.  once the whole group is in the room, everyone can realize this
immediately.  now things that were previously unthinkable are suddenly not
only thinkable, but actionable.  so the opportunity is very clear as soon as
we get everyone in teh room... and until then, it's hard to imagine what
issues could be raised, because most folks won't appreciate or imagine just
how much energy and attention will be available in the room.  so i mostly
encourage not posting topics.  if they're wiki people, sometimes what we've
done is post answers to "why i'm coming", mostly to give people a way to
start thinking and imagining who will be there.

mh

On 1/1/07, Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:

>  For me the real issue is -- when is space open, and what sort of space? I
> have seen organizations that use wiki-type format all the time, and so when
> they do an OST, it is just an extension, but in a different format. I think
> it is radically different if the wiki stuff takes on the life and function
> of "planning" the meeting." At that point it seems to me that it becomes
> quite counterproductive, and actually closes space before it ever truly
> opens. In the worst case scenario, people get stuck with the agenda they
> posted (on wiki or whatever) simply because they posted it. Hoisted on their
> own petard so to speak. The old argument that pre-planning the agenda
> insures that no issue is lost, and further that thinking about the issues
> before arrival raises quality is a dog the won't hunt, I think. Sounds very
> logical, but I have never seen a shred of evidence that it was valid. Indeed
> quite the opposite. Pre-planned agendas insure irrelevance – yesterday's
> news! Worse than that, it is boring.
>

> Harrison
>

> Harrison Owen
>
> 7808 River Falls Drive
>
> Potomac, Maryland   20854
>
> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> Skype hhowen
>
> Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
>
> Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
>
> Personal website www.ho-image.com
>
> OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
> archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
300 West North Ave #1105