OS as a cornerstone

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Mon Feb 19 20:12:54 PST 2007

Corinne - a group of business associates that I
work with have been 'growing their business' based on Open Space principles....
Here is the invitation to an upcoming gathering -
for about 15-18 partners and associates - you may
also wish to have a look at the website for
further illustration of the flavour of the business....
<http://www.windingstaircase.com.au>www.windingstaircase.com.au
Cheers
Brendan

The Winding Staircase
Summer School ‘Open Space’ Retreat
­ Thursday 8 & Friday 9 March 2007 ­
    * What are the implications for us as a
business, as a team, and as individuals?
    * What will it take to ensure we sustain the
growth needed to support us all in the way we’d like to be supported?
    * What are the business development and
organisational development priorities for our current stage of development?
    * What are the key Opportunities and the key
Threats to sustaining our organisational ‘Way of Being’?
    * What are the conversations you’d like to
have, and what ones do you think we need to have,to address these issues?
It’s a little less than 3 weeks before our
‘Summer School’ retreat and another opportunity
to spend time together, to stop to review where
we are at, do some learning, and plan how we move
forward together over the next 6 months.

The TWS Leadership Team meeting agreed that we
want Summer School to be a time and space for:
    * Reviewing where are we at, and where are we
going (individually and together across all of
TWS: Coach School, Biz School and Life School) so
everyone is on the same page:
    * Identifying and working on key issues and
development priorities that will help move us
forward sustainably (this might included
individual or organisational development issues).
    * Building our sense of team and common
clarity and commitment for moving forward
    * Being co-learners together; learning from
each other to improve our clarity and confidence,
as well as our skills and knowledge;
    * Having some fun and relaxing, nurturing and re-creating together;

What specifically, and how?

Like last time, we believe that the retreat is
best held as an Open Space event where we each
have the opportunity to have, or participate in,
the conversations that are right for us.  In
short, the content will be driven by those who attend.

As we have discovered, the Open Space process is
self-organising and runs on the energy and
commitment of those who care enough about the
theme (this time: “Growing Pains and Growing Up
Sustainably”) to show up and participate.  With
no pre-determined agenda you will be invited to
participate in creating our own program, based on
what is important to you, and to take
responsibility for what emerges.  It is highly
self-directive, interactive, dynamic and flexible
workshop process which allows us to directly name
and address each of our 'burning' questions, issues and ideas.

Like last time, we think it could be good to:
    * To start on Thursday morning with
reflection (individually or in pairs) leading to
sharing in the whole group.  As in Spring School,
this will be a chance to: look back at how we’ve
travelled (individually and as a team) over the
last few months, and to look forward: how do we
see ourselves travelling and contributing in the next 6 months;
    * From this point, using an Open Space
approach, we will identify the key conversations/
activities we want to have to support us in going
forward (individually and as a team).  Depending
on what people most want, this might include
doing some professional development together or
talking about key business or organisational development issues.
    * As we go along, and before we leave on
Friday afternoon, this time and space will also
include appropriate action planning.