OS as a cornerstone

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Feb 19 12:23:45 PST 2007

Hello Corinne, and Welcome!

I would say that it's definitely possible to run and grow your
business in open space, even with just the two of you.  And, I'll
suggest that it might not *look* like open space to outside observers,
i.e. there might not be a circle and facilitator and such.  Or might
there?

To see how this works, let what normally passes for open space
technology, circle, invitation, marketplace, law of two feet and
principles, bulletin board dissolve a bit.  It's enough, I think, if
you each agree that you know some things, many of which can be listed
explicitly, and don't know many others about what might happen, most
of which can't even be named.

It's enough, in practice, to list the things you know, about your
needs, resources, interests, purposes, desires, and what might need to
be done now about all of that.  If there are open, unanswerable
questions, probably they show up as 'things to explore', then list
those too.  Put the list of everything you know you want, think you
have, guess you can or will do next, and might explore... all on
individual post-it notes on a wall or poster or wherever is handy.
Someplace that can stay visible and available for reference.

Then just have regular conversations in front of that board, as often
as you find necessary, and whenever you don't know what is happening
or what to do next.  The 'question', i think, that all these post-it
note issues and topics and questions answers is this:  What is this
business and what should it be?

If you add new issues whenever you sit down together in front of this
bulletin board, and keep notes every time you retire or resolve an
issue... which might be through active development work, or might be
when conditions change and some area posted for action or exploration
just 'falls off' the wall... just make some notes, or don't, but move
it off to the 'done' pile.

As for involving clients or others, they need not be joining you in an
'event'.  They're likely only needed for one or a few conversations.
So ring them up when it's time (whenever it starts is the right time)
and chat about those few issues.  They don't need to know that they're
working in what you call open space.  If you hire someone new, give
them the pile of 'done' issues, perhaps some of which have notes on
them.  That is your training and orientation program, how we got here,
from the beginning.

And this goes on, each of you and both of you sitting with, updating,
reflecting, conversing, and resolving the issues on the post-its...
until it's over.  My business is just me, unless you count my wife as
an advisory board, and this is how i've run my practice for many
years, with the same 'mind' to my to-do list as I bring to any
community bulletin board wall in any oepn space meeting.  In the end,
it's the mind we make, not the meetings.  And when I get a chance to
do a meetings with clients, it is really just sharing that mind and
practice with them, even when they are several hundred people.

Enjoy!  and Good Luck!

Michael

--

Michael Herman