Law of Two Feet--the rest of the story

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Feb 16 07:01:03 PST 2007

i did an some work on the navajo reservation about 10 years ago,
diane.  was there for about 6 weeks, as i recall.  lots of interviews
and a few leadership meetings, then at least one big meeting in open
space.  some follow up meetings, i think, too.  i do remember the
whole process unfolding at what felt like slow pace to me.  in the
interviews, some went slowly or nowhere.  others bubbled up and over
in lively stories and conversation right away.  the latter less often,
however.  and i remember thinking that the real work didn't seem to
happen *at* the big meeting, but kind of around and under and beside
and before and after it.  not sure that's all that different from some
other spaces i've opened, but maybe more obviously so in this case.  i
had the same sense when i read chris corrigan's account of the os
where nobody came until lunchtime, apparently... but that the whole
community had been talking about the issue all day, but out there,
wherever they were... so the space was just a bit more open than
usually expected.  he's actually out on the navajo reservation right
now, so he'll no doubt have more to tell you when he gets  back.
michael

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates