Law of Two Feet

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Thu Feb 15 19:31:07 PST 2007

The temptation to mediate is real and valid. We just need to be mindful of
the context of our intervention, whether the intervention is quiet holding
the space or overt mediation. For me, it's asking myself if I'm coming from
a place of faith in the people or a place of non-faith. The context of my
actions are therefore more significant than the content of my actions. This
also goes for the temptation I might feel to think I could know best who
should and shouldn't be a member of a community.

Jack

On 2/15/07, Bui K. Petersen <bui at buildconsensus.ca> wrote:

>  This is what I was afraid of. I think is a situation where mediation
> would be more effective. In conflict resolution we often say "all behaviour
> makes sense". Empathy and compassion is usually more effective than a 2X4.
>
> I want to add that the scenario I am thinking is not when the person in
> question is a boss but more like a regular member of a community. It would
> be unfortunate if someone chose to leave a community as a result of an OS
> event. But perhaps there are other perspectives out there.
>
> Búi
>
> Harrison Owen wrote:
>
>  "I wonder how empowering it is for the individual left behind?"
>

> Well, if that "difficult" person was a command and control boss – it is
> possible, though perhaps not likely, that he will learn something. Then
> again, he might go and seek alternative employment. Or – all those folks he
> was intimidating might do the same thing. Sometimes the universe has to hit
> you on the side of the head with a 2X4 just to get your attention. Painful,
> but effective.
>

> Harrison
>

> Harrison Owen
>
> 7808 River Falls Drive
>
> Potomac, Maryland   20854
>
> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> Skype hhowen
>
> Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
>
> Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
>
> Personal website www.ho-image.com
>
> OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
> archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>

Jack Ricchiuto
Leadership coach, facilitator, author

Just Released! "Mountain Paths: A Guide on the Journey toward Discovering
our Potential" - available at www.DesigningLife.com