Law of Two Feet

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Feb 16 00:24:47 PST 2007

In one Open Space, a fairly short meeting, a woman came to me and asked if I
thought that Open Space did not work very well for shy people.   I replied
that shy people often seemed to be comfortable speaking in the smaller groups.
She said that she thought we should add active facilitation to make sure that
everyone had a chance to speak.   I did not offer to do that, but encouraged
her to find a group that interested her, to speak up if she wished, and to use
her two feet to find the right spot.

All the groups were in one room, and I observed for a bit.   Although the
small groups were set up with extra chairs so a new person could easily join the
circle, this woman pulled up a chair well outside the circle, behind the backs
of many participants.   She listened for just a few minutes, then moved to a
different group.   She repeated this same pattern several times, then left the
meeting.

I did not observe "space invader" behavior in the small groups, though
perhaps there were