A Capital Idea

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 10:41:19 PST 2007

In a message dated 2/8/07 7:41:06 AM, hhowen at verizon.net writes:

>  It is certainly useful in certain situations, and neither appropriate nor
> needed in others.

Harrison--

I often think about an Open Space conference (as well as other more-or-less
structured approaches) as "training wheels," a way to let a group practice new
behavior with less fear and just a little guidance at first.

I also recall that after experiencing an Open Space conference for the first
time, I opened space in many small ways, in a variety of settings, for quite a
while before I had an opportunity to facilitate an identified Open Space
meeting.   And I still open space in many places where talking about OST is not
needed nor appropriate.

Maybe OST serves as training wheels for facilitators as well, providing a
little comfort as we learn how to get ourselves out of the way and let people do
their work.

Thanks, Ralph, for causing me to ponder, this morning.

Joelle