Solutions Focus & OST

Viv McWaters viv at THEREEF.COM.AU
Sun Feb 18 20:11:47 PST 2007

Hi all

I've been off this list for a while - dipping in occasionally to the
archives and the blog to keep in touch - so apologies if this has
already been discussed.

I'm exploring the Solutions Focused (SF) approach to facilitating
(see www.sfwork.co.uk for more info) This resonates mainly because it
is future orientated, focuses on what works rather than problems,
uses small steps rather than giant leaps to move forward, encourages
simple, straightforward language and is action orientated. Sounds a
lot like OS to me :-)

Next week I'm facilitating a three-day strategic planning event (even
though I don't believe in strategic planning - but that's another
story for another time) for 50 staff of an Australian outback
Aboriginal advocacy and health organisation in Alice Springs. The
last time staff were involved in anything like this (2002) they were
able to air issues, not much else. So naturally, I'm using OST. And
I'm also thinking of incorporating some of the SF approach during the
convergence phase. Any comments would be most welcome.

Cheers

Viv

PS Here's an unexpected (to me) bonus of belonging to a list like
this one. The very act of having to compose the post and focus on
what I want to know has helped me clarify, even answer, some of the
questions I've been tossing about in my head ;-)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Viv McWaters
Beyond the Edge Pty Ltd
PO Box 665 Torquay 3228
Australia
+61 3 5261 9498
0417 135 406
Skype VivMcWaters

"Thus the task is not so much to see what no one yet has seen, but to
think what nobody yet has thought about that which everybody sees. "
Schopenhauer