on 2 feet and how/why the os sometimes work

Arno Baltin arno at tlu.ee
Sun Feb 18 10:10:59 PST 2007

Hi,

Two remarks on the two topics
1. It has been discussed how it is sometimes for someone difficult to
use 2 feet law as it is inconsistent with existing "norms" or previous
"conditioning" and how wonderful it is to discover the possibility of
getting free of them. A different situation I have many times met (as
participant and as holder of  the space) is when one is encouraged not
to use his 2 feet and stay even when the temtation is big. This is the
situation when someone has proposed a topic and nobody arrives at the
beginning (and probably none has even signed for the topic proposed). In
last of such case I encouraged (as a holder) a man just to stay and
think and write his ideas down. After a while someone dropped in ... and
at the end one of the ideas from this topic suggestions got the most of
the voices of importance.
2. Theories have been discussed of how/why os is working. Just as a pure
speculation i would like to add the "principle of contrast" :)  I have
noticed participants reaction after experiencing os in first time: "this
is contrary to what we are practicing on "business days"" (the 4
principles and law of 2 feet), "so why not to do it just in a different
way than before".  And for the law and the principles I would propose a
"hypothesis" for the researcher - the os seems to be more attractive
based on "principle of contrast" for the people from "cultures of
authority". The cultures where power is delegated high (in the sense of
G. Hofstede) are enjoing the os most because of the "princilple of
contrast".

with best regars,

Arno Baltin