OS for research planning

Michael Wood mjwood at admin.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 17 17:06:39 PST 2007

Reflection on Alison's paragraph:

"One of the facilitators then briefly ran through some of the
necessities of a good action plan-concrete elements such as goals, who
will execute the plan, in what time frame and with what resources".

This is good timing to offer what happened in an OS I conducted last
week. In some previous OS events I have noticed that the Action Plans
emerging have been somewhat sloppy and ill-defined. In the event last
week I took an extra minute (JUST a minute) to  explain the lay out of
the Action Planning sheet , including drawing attention to columns at
the bottom entitled "what", "who" and "when", and encourgaging people to
complete all three columns. The result was a trippling  of the number of
action plan returns (related to similar group sizes in the past) , and
with every single one completed with far more specificity than on any
previous occasions, including with the same group 3 months earlier. So
on the face of it, it seems that just that little bit of extra
explanation was helpful in relation to the concreteness of final
outcomes.

So....I will continue to do this and monitor the results.

Michael Wood
Western Australia