OS for research planning

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Dec 14 09:54:55 PST 2007

Allison -- great story, and with a lesson I think. Don't explain Open Space.
Do it! I can understand the temptation to explain, especially when faced
with the sort of person who appeared at the beginning wanting more
"structure." But as you all know, the more you explain it, the worse it
gets. And it wastes time. If the opening introduction from the sponsor is
very short and sweet, and you move right on into the "opening of space" --
things are up and moving before anybody has time to object, and once the
first issue is posted on the wall, there is no turning back. Everybody wants
to make sure THEIR issue is up there! If the sponsor is willing, I suggest
that he/she say little more that "Welcome to the Wheat Research group. It is
going to be good. And here's Harrison." My opening rarely takes more than 15
minutes even with some translation. So in something like 16 minutes the
"work" of the meeting is being done. And all the rest is history.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html