Fitting open space into a research conference

Deborah Hartmann deborah at hartmann.net
Mon Dec 3 05:35:22 PST 2007

OK, real world: here we go.

ONE: Qcon London
---------------------
I sponsored a one-day track in a regular conf  like this:
 - Opening the Space (plenary for this track: all participants in my
track were invited, nothing else was planned within my track at this time)
 - Sessions (OS and "talking heads" in parallel, in two different but
near-by spaces, sessions timed so people could wander between the two
with less disruption )
 - Closing the Space (plenary).

You can see our schedule online here:
http://qcon.infoq.com/london-2007/tracks/show_track.jsp?trackOID=38

One interesting side effect was: some of the people who were waiting
only for the talking heads sessions came to the Opening because there
wasn't anything else, and so they learned about OpenSpace. We had a
small group, perhaps 120 people in all, of which about 40 came to the
Opening Circle. This might be different from other conferences, in that
some people came to the conf particularly for this track, so we were not
necessarily competing with the other three tracks happening on that day.

I wasn't in the room much, as I was hosting two tracks at once, and of
course the talking heads one took a lot more work! :-)
Diana Larsen was our facilitator (yay!). Diana, do you have any
reflections on how that event worked for the participants?

XPdays NorthAmerica:
-----------------------
We used to run the Opening Circle in parallel to a tutorial. When we
stopped doing that, the complexion of the event changed. It felt more
like a party, there was more flow between OS and tutorials, because
poeple understood the rules of engagement in the (very new to them) Open
Space area. Now, these are small events, 30 to 50 people.

Agile conferences:
------------------
At Agile2006 (1100 participants) the Opening Circle was run opposite
about twelve other tracks. Turnout was small (20 people?) and very
disappointing for some of us who attended - we felt OS hadn't been given
the attention it needed at that event, to let it really energise people.
Mind you, some great sessions still took place! However, in my opinion,
this is an antipattern. Making the Opening Circle more of a plenary
event (maybe only putting one or two events opposite it?) might help.
Some of us would like to see the whole event opened with the Opening
Circle, but it's a real conundrum, with 1600 people expected at our next
event. Multiple, concurrent Opening Circles might be fun! We'll see what
this year's committee has in mind - I'm not on it.

Who else has stories about this? Kaliya, I bet.
Have a good week
deb

Deborah Hartmann
Agile Process Improvement Coach