Fitting open space into a research conference

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Mon Dec 3 16:15:01 PST 2007

Hi Ester,

thanks for the comments!

> experienced people with me to do that! We repeated our "story" quite a
> few times. And it worked. Some newcomers turned around and left, and
> others added new topics to the wall and held discussions. But it took
> a lot of energy to explain the process and communicate the spirit and
> value of staying to discuss in OS what mattered to them. So... lots of
> helpers are good. And a belief in the
I think this is good advice, and we'll have to repeat the story a couple
of times because this is a "startup" situation and (in particular
academics) are rarely on time.

> So if I were you, I would try to concentrate the speakers during the
> first part of the conference, and finish with OS, if possible. I've
> seen a lot on this list that if speakers have to speak, then it is
> best to have OS as a conclusion to the event. That being said, I don't
> have that much experience. And certainly none in a research
> conference. As for people not knowing about OS, the invitation (or
> summary in the program) will intrigue them. And once there, they will
> "get it" as Harrison always says :-)
I think I'm looking at a situation where we can have one full-energy day
(Monday) and then three days where we use the afternoon to talk about
stuff inspired by morning talks/sessions. So it might even feel like to
separate (types of) open space events at the same conference. I wonder...

Dirk

--
Phone: + 1 (650) 215 3459
Web: http://www.riehle.org