The challenge of "luminaries"

Kaliya Hamlin kaliya at mac.com
Wed Aug 22 08:10:45 PDT 2007

>  Kaliya, about your adaptive meeting methodologies, interested to
> learn that you think you are doing OS when you do not 'do' OS.

The first Open Space I went to was lead by Bill and Margo in 2002 -
it was very groovy and spiritual - appropriate for the group. I
picked up on the important elements and then just 'did it' (in 2005)
for the technical community I help lead.

I had not read anything on open space or how you were "supposed to do
it" - I picked up on the essence as I experienced them.  To me I
didn't "get"  YOU MUST START IN A CIRCLE. I got you must create space
for people to make their own agenda for the day.  I also didn' t
"get" YOU MUST HAVE AN AGENDA WALL WITH NO GRID (and some how have
people diddle around with postit notes and room/time things).  I
created a grid of times and spaces.

These two apparent adaptations that now make what I do "not" open
space to some where  accomplished the goal of open space - a great
set of interesting things to do for the day.

I learned more about open space and the 'how' you are supposed to do
it.  I also think there is a reason that some of these tools are
taking off in the tech world - because people like me are being
careful not to infect them with to much of a new agy vibe that is not
the point of the gathering.

I have always put forward the Law of Two feet and the principles of
open space - some how the tech world has glommed onto the Law of Two
feet leaving behind the principles completely. Not only do many
running unconferences  not mention the principles or konw anything of
the intention or energetics of open space they also miss the whole
point of the Law of Two feet - making it a kind of 'fuck you' to the
presenter instead of a respectful listening to the inner voice of the
self. I would spend my energy if I were you on finding the tech
unconference leaders who have chosen to use the Law of Two feet with
NONE of the awareness of open space principles, energetics or
intent.  I think there are serious issues with this phenomena
happening.   Your energy would be better spent finding and meeting
with them and encouraging them to adopt a more fuller range of open
space practices then one thing out of context.

Let me repeat in case you are having trouble HEARING ME - I start my
groups that I have long standing relationships with and a history of
leadership in a circle.

> I am interested in why it seems important to you to think that your
> unconference approach is OS.

I am not sure I am trying to make this point.  You seem to think I am
not doing open space.

  I am very clear I use open space with some minor adaptations
depending on the circumstance AND often include as as bonus some
other participatory processes like spectrograms and fishbowls.  Open
space "plus" if you will.

> I am also thinking about a few discussions I have been involved in,
> related to mentoring younger consultants in OS.  Is it still OS if,
> er, it does not look like OS?

My open spaces feel and act and look like open spaces - ask Lisa she
as at our last conference.

> In my view, OS is much more than a tool.  I suspect, Kaliya, that
> since you are not using the tool as it was created (there is
> nothing wrong with not using a circle. .. honest, I am only
> thinking aloud), since you are actually doing something
> different. .. well, I venture to guess that there is something
> about the energy of OS that has value for you.  Something has led
> you to call it OS but then to tweak it into something else. So I
> invite you to think about why it matters to you to feel some sense
> of connection to OS when you have theater-style meetings?

You not listening - I am very careful about when I choose to use a
circle or not. I am not fanatical about it.

>   Why do you think an unconference is OS?

NO not if it doesn't use the principles, the law of two feet the way
of making the agenda that has people write their name on the sheet of
paper and annouce it to the group and then put it on the agenda wall.

Not sure where you are getting that it is not OS other then the fact
I am simply stating I am not "RELIGIOUS" about the circle part (as I
explained in the beginning why) AND I use a grid with times and
spaces on it cause these audiences are are driven by serious computer
people really into logic and without a grid it would - just to much
for them.

Kaliya - Identity Woman
kaliya at mac.com

http://www.unconference.net