OS invitation to a mandatory meeting

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Tue Aug 21 18:58:32 PDT 2007

Congratulations Kathleen - a big breakthrough into the space....
I have experienced many of these 'combo-events' and they have worked
really well.

>Day 2 from 8:30 - 3:00 will be OS with 90 - 100 people. This day is
>usually called All Staff Meeting and is mandatory. Their question to
>me is how do they balance the mandatory nature of this meeting with
>the "invitation" approach of Open Space that sounds optional. I have
>begun formulating some answers but feel out of my league and thought
>"why not ask the listserv folks?"

I am currently working with such an agency to prepare an invitation
for 'all staff' to come to the annual 'retreat day' which will be held in OS...
this has traditionally been a compulsory attendance event and the
sponsor is having 'serious fun' working through the implications of
'invitation' -
and I think that this is the key part of the process - get the
question and the language of invitation right and the rest will
happen - regardless of the implicit or explicit requirement to be
there. The Law of Mobility will take care of that in any event... ;-)
Anyhow, for what its worth, in this case the question is shaping up around

         What's worth talking about with each other?
         or Walking Our Talk - let's do it!

I can send you the invitation when finalised if you wish - meantime,
trust the process of clarification that is happening within (and
between) the sponsor and yourself.
Cheers
Brendan