OS invitation to a mandatory meeting

Kathleen Osta kathleen at vitalclarity.com
Tue Aug 21 18:34:04 PDT 2007

Hi there,

I've been working a social service agency for more than 5 years doing
highly participatory strategic planning that they have made good use
of. This team is in the thick of very big changes. I've been wanting to
introduce them to Open Space and recently they've agreed to a
combo-deal. (Yes!!) 1st half day with the core group of 30 will be
reviewing results of a series of surveys and accomplishments and some
celebration.

Day 2 from 8:30 - 3:00 will be OS with 90 - 100 people. This day is
usually called All Staff Meeting and is mandatory. Their question to me
is how do they balance the mandatory nature of this meeting with the
"invitation" approach of Open Space that sounds optional. I have begun
formulating some answers but feel out of my league and thought "why not
ask the listserv folks?"

I remain curious and welcome any and all perspectives.

Thanks,

Kathleen Osta