the circle, luminaries, personal growing edges

Kaliya Hamlin kaliya at mac.com
Tue Aug 21 15:10:56 PDT 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 1:33 PM, Raffi Aftandelian wrote:

> What personal growing edges, if any, - read: blindspots- are
> contributing to
> making the choices and experiencing the difficulties you have
> mentioned in
> the recent threads in working with OST?
>
> Might deciding not to work in a circle because it is felt that IT
> people are
> not ready for it be robbing them of the opportunity to experience
> something
> that might help them be much more productive?

What I put forward to you has worked really well for me in the Tech
communities I have grown and cultivated.

  I have an very high level of credibility and trust among very very
senior people in the industry (to people in BIG corporations) in part
because I built trust with them and the community I helped to build
"OVER TIME" (we are having our 5th event in the fall (we do them
every 6 months).  This last OST we closed with a group poem. My goal
with each event is to expand their process horizons every time.

  These people now tell me they have a much lower tolerance for
'talking heads' conferences and events with 5 papers....they are in
love with open space.

   Part of the reason for this I believe was my choice - my
perception of where they were at culturally as a group and what i
could do - interms  of pushing their boundaries - (having NO agenda
was already pushing it at the beginning) an not going 'over board' in
the pushing. It is not like I had a client or committee I was
pleasing by not doing a circle- I was it - the designer/facilitator
(I always run my event designs by my co-producer and a process ally
in my tech community)..

> I have participated in OST meetings which did not begin or end in a
> circle.
> And, I am not sure they invite the whole person. What, in that
> case, are we
> inviting?

Fine.  The point is they start to show up - the whole person can
emerge in time in a community.  Me alienating them at the beginning
culturally.

> "Luminaries" is a curious word. What might we call the rest of the
> people at
> a gathering with this social group present?

They are just more 'famous' then the other people there - they are
normally keynoters, or at the very panalists regularly at a certain
circuit of events.  They can also be 'internet famous' or just
someone respected in their field.

Regards,
=Kaliya