The challenge of "luminaries"

Kaliya Hamlin kaliya at mac.com
Tue Aug 21 09:50:04 PDT 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Brendan McKeague wrote:

> Hi Kaliya - your approach is really interesting - I had not thought
> of these dimensions before - especially the notions of being
> 'fanatical about the circle' or imposing my beliefs, or about
> working a community into a circle....much food for thought indeed.
>
> In my understanding of Open Space, which my experiences have
> confirmed, the initial journey of the leader is to open and walk
> that circle of connection -

Yes - to these folks this is WAY "Granola".  Not only are you in a
circle but you are walking around it....
They don't come to 'deeply look into one another's eyes' and 'feel
the unknown space' or 'embody reality' they came together to get
stuff done.

It is my job to help facilitate the container that they can get this
done.

> I think that the circle is a fundamental part of Open Space. For
> me, to have a semi-circle would break the connection and focus.

Then you will really love the theater style seating I use.

> The group can be tempted to look/focus outside the circle

In theater style you can have the blank wall in front of them all -
this is powerful statement itself - it says "you....in these seats
you are not the audience you are the creators of this space".

> for their direction/solutions/expertise, rather than embodying the
> invitation to recognise the wisdom that is in the circle (whether
> be expressed through 'really smart amazing people' or others) ....

They have plenty of Wisdom in what ever physical form - you don't
need a circle to prove it to them.

> The circle is not there for 'its own sake' to prove equality - as I
> see it, it is a configuration for gathering that is deeply
> archetypal, with many layers of meaning and symbolism. It has the
> capacity to touch something within people that I agree may have
> been lost or driven out. In my own Celtic mythology for example, it
> is a symbol of community connection, hospitality and the nature of
> infinity (no beginning, no end).

Again - they didn't choose to come to an event that I produce to
groove on archetypical forms or get into circle symbolism.  They are
there to get stuff done.

I almost always close the day in a circle - by the end of a day in
open space they 'get' that they are the group and that it makes sense
to sit in this form.  They are warmed up to it.

Enjoy living in the space.
  =kaliya

Kaliya - Identity Woman
kaliya at mac.com