The challenge of "luminaries"

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Tue Aug 21 09:46:44 PDT 2007

Hi Kaliya,

Greetings from Portland! And thank you for your deep thoughtfulness
in challenging a possible assumption about the centrality of the
circle in Open Space.

Though you and I (and Deb and some others) tend to work with similar
groups--highly technical, software/internet-focused people in a
variety of countries and settings--we have different experiences. In
my experience of opening and holding space, I have not encountered
the strength of professional cultural difference and antipathy to
gathering in a circle that you describe.

Because of other work I do with ceremony, admittedly I _assume_ a
circle as a starting point. Occasionally someone asks me whether we
could do it a different way. I don't make a big deal out of it, yet I
do stand firm on starting (and ending) with sitting in a circle. Open
space is an "edge" experience for many folks; I don't mind adding a
bit of additional edge-iness.

I notice the sponsors/participants may shrug their metaphorical
shoulders (maybe with an eye roll or two), and then get on with
putting the circle together. Later, they thank me for my insistence.

I respect your willingness to meet people where they are, and I
suspect you do test those boundaries when planning an open space. I
don't feel that I am "fanatical" about the circle. I'd say I'm
pragmatic about it. Over many years, I've observed that starting in
circle sets a micro-cultural tone with sense of community, mutual
honoring, and equal participation.

I agree with you that technical people don't necessarily feel
uncomfortable with circle because they want to pontificate. We are
folks who are eager to share and hear new ideas. Still I haven't
noticed that the circle is as far "out of bounds" for us as you have.

Also, with regard to imposing change, sometimes you want the
incremental, over-time approach, and sometimes it's best to take the
"rip the band-aid" approach...get it over all at once. :-) It's a
judgement call we each have to make (in consultation with our
sponsors) about when to take which approach.

Best,
Diana

Diana Larsen
www.futureworksconsulting.com
co-author: "Agile Retrospectives" http://tinyurl.com/3dr5v3
Ask me about:
"Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills" workshop
Sept 17-19, Stockholm Sweden; Dec 11-13, Portland OR