Facilitator must be part of the conversations

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Thu Aug 2 22:13:43 PDT 2007

First thanks to Elwin for stepping into my skin.  Good points.

On 8/2/07, douglas germann <76066.515 at compuserve.com> wrote:

>  Chris--
>
> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 12:55 -0700, Chris Corrigan wrote:
>
>  Hosting has to do with all of the capacities we use when we engage with
> clients around an open space.  Some of these might include:
>

>    - Seeing and sensing patterns in the organization that help to find
>    "accupuncture points" for change,
>

> How do you do that unless you are immersed, somehow, (how?) in the
> conversations?

Well, when I work with a client, I don't usually just show up for the Open
Space meeting.  Elwin talks about the givens, and I have similar kinds of
conversations with the client as we develop the theme and the invitation for
the event.  I like to work appreciatively with a client finding the patterns
that give and sustain life in the organization.  We can use those paterns to
give life to a juicy Open Space event too, inviting people to step into to
their work in a deeper way.  In that sense, if we think of a gig with an
organization as an extended conversation, I am very much in the conversation
up front.

>    - Taking a courageous stand for clarity.
>

> Again, seems to me you have to be in the conversation to take a stand.
> Could you give an example please of what this might be?

As Elwin said, offer examples of being clear in the event.  I have noticed
over the years that when we arrive at clairty, action becomes easy.  The
more clarity we have, the easier it is to act.  So I serve clarity by
helping sponsors find a clear theme, and by challenging participants in the
Open Space to find the clarity they need to more forward.

in doing so, I have stumbled upon the idea of fields, hosting and so on.  It
> has made me no longer a facilitator per se but more of what John Abbe and
> others call "a process artist," living as an artist, trying to find the art
> in everything about process, including how I ride the bus and step into a
> venue to open space.
>

> Again, you have to be there to practice your art. Show up, as it is said,
> yes?

With integrity, aware of your influence as Lisa and Mark say, but not being
> afraid to take your stand, which Martin Buber says is necessary....
>
> This seems to me is key. We need, in the right circumstance, to stand up,
> challenge people to do what is necessary, for instance, work toward
> consciously evolving the world. The time is too short to hold back because
> the rules say Stand aside, it is their conversation, not yours. Is it not
> ours?

At some level every conversation is ours.  And because it is OURS and not
MINE, sometimes it serves US better if I step out.

If we are in the world saying to clients that "If you are not learning and
> contributing, go somewhere where you can" why would we not practice that in
> our family and life?  It is my ten year old daughter's favourite principle
> for her life - last week she wrote it out on a piece of paper and taped it
> to the dining room wall.
>

> And should we not be doing this in our hosting? Guess I'm just trying to
> convince myself.

Yes and always in conversation with yourself about what you are learning and
contributing, and always asking yourself where could you be that would
serve.  Sometimes that is a physical place, and sometimes it isn't.
Presence is a tangible yet ineffable thing  Fully present, completely
invisible.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com