Facilitator must be part of the conversations

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 20:07:08 PDT 2007

Doug,

Let me play Chris for a minute. Here are my replies (ALL CAPS) to
your questions:

* Seeing and sensing patterns in the organization that help to find
"accupuncture points" for change,

Q- How do you do that unless you are immersed, somehow, (how?) in the
conversations?

FOR ME THIS IS ESSENTIAL IN ESTABLISHING THE ‘GIVENS” WITH THE
OST CLIENT.

* Taking a courageous stand for clarity.
Q- Again, seems to me you have to be in the conversation to take a
stand. Could you give an example please of what this might be?

WHEN I “OPEN THE SPACE” AFTER ANNOUNCING I WILL NOT TAKE
QUESTIONS BECAUSE ALL QUESTIONS HAVE THE SAME ANSWER, “DO WHATEVER
YOU DECIDE”. I “COURAGOUSLY” AND CONSPICUOSLY WALK OUT OF THE
HALL/BUILDING AND GO TO BED.  IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH?

I have stumbled upon the idea of fields, hosting and so on.  It has
made me no longer a facilitator per se but more of what John Abbe and
others call "a process artist," living as an artist, trying to find
the art in everything about process, including how I ride the bus and
step into a venue to open space.
Q- Again, you have to be there to practice your art. Show up, as it
is said, yes?
YES AND NO! I PREFER TO “BE PRESENT” WHICH IS LEADING BY EXAMPLE.
IT IS ALSO “TELLING THE TRUTH”.

With integrity, aware of your influence as Lisa and Mark say, but not
being afraid to take your stand, which Martin Buber says is
necessary....

Q- This seems to me is key. We need, in the right circumstance, to
stand up, challenge people to do what is necessary, for instance,
work toward consciously evolving the world. The time is too short to
hold back because the rules say Stand aside, it is their
conversation, not yours. Is it not ours?

NOT IF OUR ROLE IS FACILITATOR. THE VERY NATURE/ESSENCE OF OST IS TO
“CHALLENGE” THE STAKEHOLDERS (PARTICIPANTS) TO DO WHAT IS NEEDED
BY APPLYING THEIR PASSION AND SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY. WE DON’T DO
THAT, WE FACILITATE THAT!

If we are in the world saying to clients that "If you are not
learning and contributing, go somewhere where you can" why would we
not practice that in our family and life?  It is my ten year old
daughter's favourite principle for her life - last week she wrote it
out on a piece of paper and taped it to the dining room wall.

Q- And should we not be doing this in our hosting? Guess I'm just
trying to convince myself.
MY OST FACILITATIONS HAVE “ALL” BEEN LEARNING EXPERIENCES. THE
PASSION AND CARE I GIVE TO MY FACILITATION ROLE IS, I FEEL, A
CONTRIBUTION.

CHRIS, I HOPE YOU DON’T MIND ME STEPPING IN HERE.

Elwin Guild
Future Development International
Baltimore