Facilitator must be part of the conversations

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Thu Aug 2 19:31:35 PDT 2007

Chris--

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 12:55 -0700, Chris Corrigan wrote:

> Hosting has to do with all of the capacities we use when we engage
> with clients around an open space.  Some of these might include:
>
>       * Seeing and sensing patterns in the organization that help to
>         find "accupuncture points" for change,

How do you do that unless you are immersed, somehow, (how?) in the
conversations?

>       * Taking a courageous stand for clarity.

Again, seems to me you have to be in the conversation to take a stand.
Could you give an example please of what this might be?

        in doing so, I have stumbled upon the idea of fields, hosting
        and so on.  It has made me no longer a facilitator per se but
        more of what John Abbe and others call "a process artist,"
        living as an artist, trying to find the art in everything about
        process, including how I ride the bus and step into a venue to
        open space.

Again, you have to be there to practice your art. Show up, as it is
said, yes?

With integrity, aware of your influence as Lisa and Mark say, but not
being afraid to take your stand, which Martin Buber says is
necessary....

This seems to me is key. We need, in the right circumstance, to stand
up, challenge people to do what is necessary, for instance, work toward
consciously evolving the world. The time is too short to hold back
because the rules say Stand aside, it is their conversation, not yours.
Is it not ours?

> If we are in the world saying to clients that "If you are not learning
> and contributing, go somewhere where you can" why would we not
> practice that in our family and life?  It is my ten year old
> daughter's favourite principle for her life - last week she wrote it
> out on a piece of paper and taped it to the dining room wall.

And should we not be doing this in our hosting? Guess I'm just trying to
convince myself.

                                            :- Doug.