sponsor/facilitator (was the circle, luminaries, personal growing edges)

Diane Brandon diane at keysregion.org
Thu Aug 23 05:32:17 PDT 2007

Brendan, your reference to "both sponsor and facilitator" reminds me
that I want to explore that topic, here on the list and/or perhaps by
posting a session at the OSonOS that's coming up in Camden.

Space will be opened on 9/22 in Eliot, Maine, for at least that one
afternoon, and hopefully to continue Sunday morning, for an
interfaith "education for sustainable development" (ESD) conference.
(If you want to see some good interfaith materials, check out this
Canadian website:  http://www.faith-commongood.net/ )

Saturday morning 9/22 will open with a keynote about the national and
international ESD faith sector work, then a short fishbowl dialogue
on same, followed by a cafe time. After lunch, open space.

We had an afternoon of OS last year at the conference, and it went
very well. Peter Adriance, the keynoter (known to Chris C) opened the
space last year, but we both agreed that I should take the leap and
do it this year.... and now I'm having second thoughts.

What are the implications of both being on the planning committee for
the conference, being a member of the primary "host" faith, and
opening the space in the afternoon? Peter wore all of those hats last
year, and it didn't seem to create any problems, but last year it was
a primarily Baha'i weekend conference, and this year it's interfaith,
but hosted at a Baha'i facility. So..... perhaps it would be better
to have a person of a different faith open the space, to prevent us
Baha'i hosts from being too dominant in owning the processes?

The planning team includes people of several different faiths --
Quaker, UU, UCC, Catholic -- and others (including a Rabbi) are on
the email list for the planning process, and have been involved in
1:1 planning meetings. One person on the planning team, from the
local UU church, has opened space before in his professional work for
U. Maine Extension... would it be better if he does it for the
conference this year? Or should we have a complete "outsider" (not
involved in planning, co-sponsoring, hosting, etc.) open the space?

I'm  happy to hear any thoughts,

Diane Brandon (with my conference planner hat on)
Eliot, Maine