Open Space to Build Communities of Practice

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Wed Aug 22 11:23:59 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I'm sending out a request for help. Has anyone opened and held space
to help build an community of practice (CoP) inside a larger
organization?

Last year I worked with clients to hold an OS event to jump-start the
creation of a community of practice inside a corporate organization.
Two managers internal to the organization acted as sponsors and
"apprentice" open space holders for the original event. Since then
they have opened space approximately once every six months for their
CoP. Lovely things have happened. One of the managers and I will
collaborate to write an article about this experience.

I'm looking for other examples where OS has been used to reach a
similar goal. Of course, we will give appropriate attribution (or
shielding, as you request, ;-) ) for any stories we include in the
article.

Before someone suggests it, I have searched the openspaceworld.org
archive and google. From that search, I have found a small number of
references to building a community of practice among open space
facilitators, but nothing that relates to opening space for a
different CoP.

Thanks in advance for considering my request. I know how responsive
this group will be. :-)

Best wishes,
Diana

Diana Larsen
www.futureworksconsulting.com
co-author: "Agile Retrospectives" http://tinyurl.com/3dr5v3
Ask me about:
"Secrets of Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills" workshop
Sept 17-19, Stockholm Sweden; Dec 11-13, Portland OR