Opening space for Luminaries

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Sun Aug 19 08:07:38 PDT 2007

Peggy and all,

What you described has happened to me twice.  Once with the CEO of a large,
famous company and the other time with Stephen Covey.  Both were easy to
work with.

My situation was different from yours in that it was not the big shots who
were making a fuss, it was the meeting organizers who were anxious that the
process would not allow these stars to shine and that the stars would,
therefore, be offended.  In both cases, I suggested to the organizers that
they introduce me to the person in question so we could have a little talk.
Once introduced I explained what was happening and that anyone was free to
post a session about any topic of interest to them.  I said I hope they will
respect the process the sponsors had hired me to provide, that it was the
best way they and I had figured out to produce the results they were after,
and it was, after all, what the people who¹d shown up were expecting.

Both men took advantage of this suggestion and posted topics.  And in both
cases, no other break-out sessions in those particular time slots drew any
participants, but that¹s the way it goes.

I wonder what the other participants in your gathering would think if they
could hear what the egotists you mention had said about their not really
being necessary or important.

Seems to me your instincts about how to handle the situations are good.

Then, of course, there were the several times I facilitated OS meetings in
which Harrison was one of the participants... Hmm...

Ralph Copleman