FW: The challenge of "luminaries"

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Aug 19 08:08:49 PDT 2007

Deborah - I think your idea of a "facebook" sent out in advance is a great
one. And it would avoid doing a "round the circle" at the beginning, which I
personally find less than useful for two reasons. First it delays the actual
start when people go to work - and this is the most important consideration
for me. Secondly, all those names and needs/wants/desires badly confuses
this old mind. After the first two or three I just hit "overload."  For our
up coming OSONOS by the Sea I sent out a full participant list and invited
people to add whatever information/requests they might want. Some people
chose to remain a mystery (great!) and others wrote a whole bunch. How much
of this actually gets read I don't know, but a number of folks said it was
useful and fun. Since email addresses were also included, the party started
early, which was wonderful.

I am a little less enthusiastic about special guided tours done by the
facilitator - though it is certainly a nice idea. I find one of the great
things about an Open Space is the speed with which new comers are included -
some of this just happens on its own, and in other cases participants will
notice a stranger looking a little lost and take them under their wing. I
really like that as it serves to build and bond the community. If the lost
guest is "important" having some "just plain folk" do the job can be
wonderful. And who knows a useful connection could be made. At most I (as
the facilitator) might suggest to one of the "older" participants that "so
and so" looks a little lost - maybe you could take them on a tour - sort of
thing. That way I can hold the space and members of the community take
active responsibility for the inclusion. Win/Win - I think.

Harrison

  _____