Mutli-LIngual and non-primary Language Open space

Kaliya Hamlin kaliya at mac.com
Wed Apr 25 06:16:52 PDT 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Harrison Owen wrote:

> Kaliay -- seems to me you really have two questions here, and I am
> not sure
> which one your really want an answer to (or both?). Question 1 --
> OS in a
> non-English environment? Question 2 -- OS in an environment where
> multiple
> languages are spoken?

Nope actually I am not asking Question 1 at all.  I will try to
reword it.

What do to support  Open Space lead in English and the sessions will
be largely spoken english when many of the people participating don't
have english as their primary (first) language.

The people I am working with have said some what in jest but none-the-
less say. They think the event for all of English speaking folks
should happen in Japanese to prove how it 'doesn't work' if you are
not a good speaker of what ever language it is happening in.

>  Things get a little more complicated when you come to the various
> issue group in multiple languages. But that seems towork too, very
> much in the spirit of a good international bar. If you want to talk
> to somebody and don't share a common language, everybody else at
> the bar will pitch in. Language buddies can also be helpful. And I
> am sure that our international cast of characters will have lots of
> helpful suggestions.

This is all great advice and it would be great to hear from others
about specific guidelines or suggestions they put forward for people
navigating a not everyone is fully comfortable in the language things
are happening in AND multi-lingual.  Along with suggestions for
facilitators working in such an environment.

I do appreciate fully the 'intuition' and ability for people to
communicate AND I am bringing Open Space into environments where
there is a normative requirement for high understanding of what is
being discussed about technical standards in International
Telecommunications.

Smiles
=Kaliya

> And Last -- but not least --- WELCOME to the LIST!!!
>
> Harrison
>
> Harrison Owen
> 7808 River Falls Drive
> Potomac, Maryland   20854
> Phone 301-365-2093
> Skype hhowen
> Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
> Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
> Personal website www.ho-image.com
> OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
> archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html

Kaliya - Identity Woman

AIM:kaliya at mac.com
skype:identitywoman