Mutli-LIngual and non-primary Language Open space

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Apr 25 06:00:45 PDT 2007

Kaliay -- seems to me you really have two questions here, and I am not sure
which one your really want an answer to (or both?). Question 1 -- OS in a
non-English environment? Question 2 -- OS in an environment where multiple
languages are spoken?

The simple answer to # 1 is No Problem. Given the fact that OS has been used
some 100,000+ times in 124 countries, I think the verdict is probably in: It
works in any language. And specifically in terms of Japan, I can tell you on
the basis of personal experience -- works there too. In fact if you go there
and would like to have and OS in Japanese, contact my good friends at Human
Values (Tokyo), and particularly Emi Hota hotta at humanvalue.co.jp By the way,
they have also just published the Japanese version of "Open Space
Technology: A User's Guide."

The answer to Question # 2 is also, No Problem -- but a detailed answer will
take a little time. First thing is that OS is so intuitive that even when
most of the people don't understand a word of the "opening" they will "get
it." I had a group in Latin America where Spanish was just about it. I don't
speak Spanish but with just a little bit of simultaneous translation,
everything worked just like usual. Things get a little more complicated when
you come to the various issue group in multiple languages. But that seems to
work too, very much in the spirit of a good international bar. If you want
to talk to somebody and don't share a common language, everybody else at the
bar will pitch in. Language buddies can also be helpful. And I am sure that
our international cast of characters will have lots of helpful suggestions.

And Last -- but not least --- WELCOME to the LIST!!!

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html