1-day OS with action planning

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Apr 18 10:51:37 PDT 2007

Hello, all -

Esther mentioned her first OS with action planning.

She said:

<I read several convergence methods some of you use (on Lisa Heft's website
- thanks Lisa for posting this!) and found great ideas for the future.>

Here are some of those resources Esther mentioned...

http://www.openingspace.net/openSpaceTechnology_method.shtml

(or just go to http://www.openingspace.net <http://www.openingspace.net/>  -
Open Space Technology / The Method)

...in the Resources for OST Practitioners you will see papers on

Convergence: A Conversation

Convergence Approaches

Action Plans

It is interesting to me, always, to have the conversation with the client /
sponsor / host about what they wish to achieve in their one (or whatever)
day(s) together.  Many say they want to end with the group identifying
action items - however upon further discussion it turns out that it is not
necessarily *action* they needed, but a sense of *accomplishment* - and all
their previous models of meetings end in action items, votes or otherwise
naming numbers of things - so that is naturally what they feel signals a
productive end to a meeting.  So I really like to have a very thorough
conversation for as long as it takes to get the truest sense of this need
and then decide what is the design that might accomplish it (and/or perhaps
we have a conversation that to accomplish a certain desired outcome takes a
longer OS or something).  Action? Accomplishment?  Next steps?  Personal
commitments?  Knowing also that a) Open Space delivers closing comments and
reflections (a useful deliverable) and a Book of Proceedings (measure of
accomplishment) and b) I am happy to design in action identification a la
Open Space if appropriate - however if we (the client and I) structure a
convergence activity we need to be very clear on what are we asking, is
there realistic support for follow-through if actions are identified, do
people have the tools they need or freedom to break out of their traditional
organizational roles to continue work post-event on their actions, and so
on.  All very rich conversation and detective work before finalizing design.

More thoughts from Lisa's surfacing into email land today...

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e