a list

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 10:02:03 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/17/07 5:27:01 PM, raffi at BK.RU writes:

> 17. You get very anxious that the produce stalls are arranged in rows and
> not in a circle. And propose to the market coordinator that the run an OST
> meeting, "The Setup of Our Farmer's Market: issues and opportunities."
>
> 18. You get even more anxious that the people working the stalls are not
> looking at people at other stalls to acknowledge all the wisdom present at
> the farmer's market.

I had a great friend (who unfortunately died of leukemia a few years ago)
whose mission in life was to encourage meaningful conversations.   His annual
birthday party was a wonderful, intergenerational gathering of friends and
friends of friends--the invitation always included the line, "Someone will be there
that you need to talk to."   Whenever I planned an event that would bring
people together for important conversations, I could count on him to put up
posters around the county.   After a conversation with Chuck, I knew I had been
listened to with full attention, and heard.

At one point, he was the coordinator of the Olympia Farmers' Market, at a
period when the market was outgrowing its space, and plans were being drawn up
for a new market area.   He made three requests, which were honored:

1.   Vendors were encouraged to sell some ready-to-eat foods, as well as
fresh produce.
2.   A central area in the market would have tables where people could gather
to eat and talk.
3.   Musicians were invited to play in the market area.

Thus, the market, which had been a place for selling and buying, became also
a place for the community to come together and talk.

This all happened before I knew about Open Space, but Chuck was a wonderful
example of someone who lived his life in open space.

Joelle