[Fwd: Re: angry feedback...longish response to Jons questions]

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.de
Tue Apr 10 07:27:32 PDT 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: angry feedback...longish response to Jons questions
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:18:39 +0200
From: Michael M Pannwitz <mmpanne at boscop.de>
To: only.connect at virgin.net

Dear Jon,
1)14 is correct, more detail (lots of detail) at
> http://www.openspaceworld.org/cgi/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceOnOpenSpace

2)Originally in Washington DC (near where Harrison lives, he hates to
travel)then other cities in the US and Canada (which to most North
Americans definitely already makes it an international event perhaps
even a global event but not quite a worldwide event)and then finally in
Berlin (some Berliners hosting it)making it closer to "worldwide" in
2000 and then all over the place, more often outside of NorthAmerica
(India, Australia,Russia,Denmark...) which prompted some movement to
have US-centered OSonOSes and also Canada-centered OSonOS and actually
regional US OSonOS...which was increasingly confusing because chaotic
which even osnicks have a hard time to deal with...parallel all kinds of
national, regional and even very local (also know as Stammtische)OSonOS
by different names popped up in Germany, UK, Scandinavia, Ukraine, etc.
Now it became increasingly spread and selforganizing...
3)The participants at the current WOSonOS decide where the next will be.
  From what I have seen, this can be an interesting process. When I
wanted to invite the worldwide OSonOS to Berlin at the gathering in
Monterey in 1998 people there showed some interest...the following year
in Chicago, where I again wanted to enter my pitch Harrison jumped the
gun on me saying something like "Berlin would be nice" (he had just been
there and liked the beer) it was clear that it would be Berlin. So it
took place in Berlin. In Berlin there was a huge discussion of where it
should be the next time with suggestions we should go to places where os
is not very visible yet. But since there were no sponsors from such
places in the room, it didnt go to any of those places...I think it went
to Vancouver...
4)In a recent worldwide phone conference on WOSonOS among "senior"
osnicks there was agreement on some points around this issue, here the
summary

"Summary of Agreements that Emerged in Conversation:
During the conversation, there was full agreement to the following.

     ¨    We support the growth of OSonOS events around the world –
local, nationally, regionally and beyond
     ¨    We also want to continue the tradition of one, face to face,
Worldwide Open Space on Open Space a year .  Let’s call it “WOSonOS”
     ¨    Open Space Institutes and Groups from around the world want to
provide more intentional guidance and support to the annual WOSonOS
event in the future.
     ¨    To better support the annual WOSonOS, we agreed on the following:
          §    Develop at least a 2 year lead time for planning, seeking
volunteer sponsors/hosts beyond the current one year cycle
          §    WOSonOS events need to have knowledgeable sponsorship,
with some previous experience at a WOSonOS event and with sufficient
local capacity.  This requires a local institute or group volunteering
to host a WOSonOS.
          §    Let’s alternate WOSonOS geographically, between (1)
Europe, (2) North America, and (3) Other Parts of the World.  (As more
groups form, this pattern of three types of locations will change.)
     ¨    Continue telephone conversations among contacts from Open
Space Institutes and Groups to support WOSonOS and to explore other ways
to help “hold the space for Worldwide Open Space”
     ¨    Encourage and support participation at the upcoming Kiev event
in May, to the extent possible"

5)Its truly worldwide, following the "pattern" of the first 14 with the
15th coming up in Kyiv...one good way to tell whether it in fact is a
WOSonOS is to see whether Brian from Australia is attending...he has
been to all of them (sometimes he claims he was not at one of them but
nobody remembers that).

So, to really get the excitement and the spirit of WOSonOS, come to Kyiv
which happens to be an amazingly appropriate place for various reasons:
-the revolution continues
-there are 50 plus active osnicks in the Ukraine not quite uninvolved in
that process
-its THE place to get the worldwide connection this year
Have a look at the invitation
> http://www.demenko.info/welcome%21.html

Greetings from Berlin, potentially the place for WOSonOS 2010, ten years
after the first WOSonOS in Berlin, the third now being scheduled for 2020 !!
mmp