1-day OS with action planning

Communications Esther Matte ematte at excellence.ca
Tue Apr 10 11:24:10 PDT 2007

Hi all,

As you know, I'm a newbie to OS after training last year with Diane
Gibeault and Larry Peterson here in Canada. I already thanked you all
after my very first OS for sharing so generously your experience on
this List. I learned a lot with all of you. And I wish to thank you
again as I've rarely (never?) seen such openness and genuine desire
to help and share in a professional practice.

There was a rather disturbing series of messages this morning, but
growing pains are to be expected I suppose. I think it's good that
sort of an international committee is starting up, that there is some
planning for international events two years ahead of time and that
there is an intention to alternate between continents.

So, here I am, after my first 1-day OS with action planning. It was a
little over a week ago, with a sub-group from a client for whom Diane
Gibeault had facilitated an OS last December with me as assistant.
After decanting the event (is this the right word in English?
Refering to decanting a good wine to let it open itself, take it's
full flavour and aroma), I can say that I learned a lot and I feel at
my place facilitating OS. It was a small group (21), and a very
engaged one too. I felt stress right at the beginning, when the
sponsor first asked everyone to introduce themselves and then spoke
for about 20 minutes (despite our 4-5 minutes preparation)! I looked
at the "whatever" and "whenever" principles posted on the wall, and
took a deep breath. Throughout the day, I did what we ask people to
do if they feel confused in front of the Market place: trust
yourself, trust the group and trust the process. And of course, it
went fine :-) I had a follow-up meeting with the client last week,
and the comments were very positive. The sponsor had invited people
from the community (their clients) to join in, and it was very active
and inspiring. All participants thought the objective was attained,
and found the OS process efficient and highly satisfying.

One interesting thing was that sort of a pattern emerged in the
discussion groups. In each round, there was a rather big group
(between 10 and 15) and other small ones, even individuals by
themselves. After priority setting, the client decided on a fourth
priority, mostly because there was only one vote less then the third,
but also because she didn't quite like this "big and small groups"
pattern. As it turned out, no one went to that fourth action plan
group. So that says a lot, again, about that "control" thing, right?

One evaluation comment (anonymous) surprised me: "too many rules".
Ever happened to anyone? I think it may have to do with the
priorities setting process and action planning forms. It was
difficult to bring the group to the convergence phase. This morning,
I read several convergence methods some of you use (on Lisa Heft's
website - thanks Lisa for posting this!) and found great ideas for the future.

I would like your input on something if you have time and wish to
share your experience. This particular client was very specific not
to insist very much on the responsability side of OS, because people
are disseminated in a large territory with low access to technology,
so it's not practical to work in groups, and all have an already very
heavy workload. The client still wanted action planning in order to
have a basic game plan for each priority and act as a "global
coordinator", calling on people for their help when needed. So I
mentioned personal responsibility without emphasizing it in my
opening (since the time was short, that was fine!). I did, however,
add a point to the action planning form so that people could state
what they would like to do in implementation, if and how they would
like to be personally involved. I think it can work for that group,
as they already have regular conference calls and intend to put OS
action plans on the agenda every time. The client will be leaving the
organization in a couple of months, but will be replaced by someone
who participated in the OS. So we'll see if it does work in real life
when I have my final follow-up meeting with the new person in place.
That being said, I still wonder if maybe I should have put a little
more emphasis on personal responsibility anyway, as it is really what
makes things happen. Even though people are geographically apart with
low access to technology, there's still that need for the first phone
call or action that will bring others. Any thoughts?

I'm looking forward to facilitating more OS events in the future, and
thank you all for your support!

Esther