humanizing politics... longish

Jaime Pedreros jpedrerosf at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 09:49:04 PDT 2006

Hello OS'ers!!

Juan Luis just posted a message bringing my project to your attention again.
This motivated me to write a message in Spanish to him, most of it I am now
translating for you all:

'Thanks for this new message and for the contribution your continued
concerned means to me. You have taken as yours a cause that has been a
permanent concern since I began to work with Transactional Analysis more
than 20 years ago.

As well as you, several of our colleagues posted messages with valuable
suggestions and comments, which are a living token of the spirit inside us
and a tangible prove that OS is a world of overwhelmingly powerful tools.
Osonline nomination as one of the 10 most powerful means that are
contributing to change this world is another great recognition.

By working to design the program and put themes together I could get
insights of our daily live in Bolivia, which far from discouraging me, gave
me "door-in-front-my-nose" telling me "we badly need to humanize politics".

Local institutions do not give their support unless financial resources are
provided for or international cooperation funding is assured (we like
everything for free with astonishing display) If a professional does not
come from abroad with international recognition, it is very difficult to be
locally accepted as we simply could not understand how a qualified person
with some knowledge to share and inviting us to a transcendent reflection
would wish to live here.

Fortunately, I have not finished yet my canvassing of possibilities to get
institutional support. Nevertheless, facts and recent political events show
me that I am in the right direction: negative chaos is present ¿Would it
lead us to a superior stage? This situation according to what is common
place in Bolivia and precisely according to what I am proposing to overcome
through humanizing politics here tells these people "this is not the best
moment". I do not agree with this and continue working (date and time will
come as appropriate).

I would like to further explain my concepts and perception related to the
present situation here. Eric Berne wrote "Games People Play". I have not
read it (you cannot find Eric Berne's books in La Paz) but have a working
knowledge about the nature and extent of "games" (set of actions-reactions
that have a hidden intention, commonly to receive destructive criticism). At
present, people currently holding the political power in Bolivia come from
economic and social sectors in which encouragement, incitement, adequate
recognition and personal valuation are not known nor exercised from parents
to children (the so-called permitting mechanisms that are in practice in
western modern societies). Mechanisms mostly used by social sectors holding
political power here are excessive punishment, abuse, disqualifying and
other in the like (so-called pressure/pushing mechanisms). This situation
patterns political actions through decisions made and mainly through public
statements by authorities, government officials and assembly members. Rather
than thinking, feeling and acting in a way to receive recognition,
encouragement and support, "applause" and similar reactions, what they
finally look for is criticism, "punishment" and disapproval. Berne called
this game "*kick-me-on, please*". It is a game for it brings satisfaction to
the ones involved in it: the government (to which the governing party's
constituent assembly members are adding up) as a victim/pursuer and, on  the
other hand the opponents together with mass-media and social sectors not
holding political power as pursuer/victim, all of them in hope of a "savior"
to complete the dramatic triangle.

Transactional Analysis allows to address this reality in a lively and
immediate manner; as in a "mask and costume dancing party" where everyone
take out their at the count of three. Frequently, people involved do not
want to face reality; they perceive it as "non convenient" as they will lose
the satisfaction from being a part of the game and because they do not have
a *saludable* alternative (for it brings health and would be welcome)…

I know that I have a substantial support coming from you Juan Luis as well
as from other members in our list. I am indebted to all of you.

I have find no experience about Transactional Analysis being used in the
political field and mi idea to integrate some of its tools are of increasing
interest in other professional circles… I will continue hands-on'.

Thank you again, Juan Luis and thanks to all of you giving your comments,
suggestions and good vibrations!

Will keep you informed

Jaime