Canadian tables

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri Oct 20 09:11:46 PDT 2006

Hi, Yaari and all -

Yaari wrote:

hello os rockers,

we made some good experience using strings and ropes for bulletin board, the
principles the news wall etc. in situations where we were not allowed or
able to use the walls. we did some open spaces outside in the woods, in the
mountains or in (military) tents. you always find something to fix the
strings to. we used fold back clips or wooden clips (the ones you use to
hang clothes to dry - i m missing the english word) to hang most of the
needed things. by now i have a marvellous collection of european and russion
clips.

at the moment i am working on a pdf reader on - open space in nature or in
extreme situations - including pictures ... imagine a bullitin board hanging
between the trees close to a mountain lake ... i will send you a link as
soon as it is ready ... might take a while.

Yaari, you are fabulous (anyway!).  Your description reminds me of other
circumstances where I have worked outside (lots of little rocks everywhere
holding down paper, for example).  And I remember someone (Michael P, was
it?) shared with us some time ago about the agenda wall being the side of a
bus that was driven up close to the meeting site.

You reminded me about clotheslines, which I have used before but forgot
about - and I love the idea of your collection of clothesline clips  ;o)

I also was teasing the planning team that we would all wear 'sandwich
boards' - a flat surface that you hang on your front and your back and walk
around with a big sign, like some people use to advertise?  I pictured us
all walking around with signs on us, even the agenda wall all moving around
- made me smile.  Talk about chaos theory and patterns.

By the way, I also told this group to remember to dress casually, and then
the planning team and I were sharing jokes about wearing costumes and wigs
and such.  A great group.

By the way, for those of you who have not encountered this 'can't tape to
the walls' challenge, we are also talking about making a false wall out of
exhibit walls (the site does not have those) and PostIt flip chart pads that
have a little sticky stuff at the top that some sites say is okay even if
they don't like tape.  But those pages sometimes fall off the wall if it is
hot or humid or if you tape too many topics (or whatever) signs on them -
depending on the surface of the actual wall being used.

Thanks for this great brainstorm (or thought shower, as I recall Gil Benson
Lazan says is the term sometimes used in South America) - I welcome all your
ideas and delight in how we all learn so much from one another,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e