OST with handicapped persons

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Nov 19 23:54:07 PST 2006

Jennifer--

We also find that some in a group may be illiterate.   I ask that convenors
"make sure that a report is written," reminding them that they can ask for a
volunteer, or the group can make the report together in the last few minutes of
the session.

At one OS, I knew that there were people on the park-maintenance crew who did
not read or write.   One woman sat on the sidelines for a long time with a
paper in hand, and finally asked a friend to make the poster "because my writing
is not too clear," she told me later.   She asked a very thought-provoking
question.   And the director of the organization came to her session, and
volunteered to take notes in the flipchart.

As for writing on the floor, I've had repeated knee injuries.   Getting down
to the floor is not easy, and getting back up is not a pretty sight.   Just in
case someone else has the same problem, I usually put out a few pieces of
cardboard (tablet backs) alongside the paper and pens, so participants can sit on
a chair and do their writing on their laps if they so choose.

Joelle