Report of the Int OS Training in Blossin, Group 1

Christine Sommer Christine.Sommer at gmx.at
Sat Nov 4 11:54:24 PST 2006

Dear list members,

enclosed please find our reflection group's impressions - and questions for day two and three of the training.

November 3,
Open Space on "Connection - Disconnection. How Do We Experience it and Meet The Challenges?"

We felt very tired after the first day of experiencing Open Space and are wondering why?

We discovered the importance of:
* Silence
* Letting Go
* Self-responsibility
* The balance between the large and small groups.

We also learned how free and flexible this approach feels.

Michael Pannwitz sends his greetings to you all.

November 4,
Action Planning
Open Space on Open Space

After the action planning we felt tired, deflated and confused, something we also felt about finding the theme for the first Open Space.

The two afternoon break out sessions on "Open Space on Open Space" were great. First we thought we would be too tired to get into active discussion, but it turned out that we were much more motivated than by the vague topic yesterday and got a lot out of the discussions. It was so obvious that we had more to say and more questions also in the reflection group today, as we had discussed and worked on something we feel passionate about.

We are, however, a bit confused about what is happening when it comes to this being a training event, as one of the ideas was that we would get input from experienced facilitators. When we didn't get answers to our questions today (e.g. How can OS be used by groups to make democratic decisions?, or How to make sure that the convergence (action planning) is the best it can be?), we were disappointed and frustrated, leaving us wondering about the benefit of this training when you had already participated in open spaces and also facilitated some.

We figured that we experience the frustration of participants in any Open Space when the facilitator - just as he is supposed to - doesn't give answers. It is our responsibility to get answers, simply getting them from the facilitators or Michael would not be Open Space but a rather conventional approach.

We therefore have hope that our questions will be answered in the end, but we are a bit afraid that there might not be enough time on the last day for information from facilitators.

We do also have a question for you:
We somehow feel that within OST there is not a high interest on the feeling of the group as a whole, more on the topic. Why does the group dynamic not appear to be important in OST?

Reflection Group 1
Christine, Cliodhna, Elisabet, Kasia, Susanne

--

Mag.a Christine Sommer
Zwinzstraße 7/3/1

tel: +43-1-971 48 38