my second space in istanbul

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed May 31 06:57:49 PDT 2006

I sort of thought that was what you meant (explanation). I can understand
why you did that - and I try very hard to answer few if any questions. There
are several reasons. The first is just practical. The more time you spend
answering questions, the less time folks have with the really good stuff
(what they came to talk about). Also I find that in most cases (all cases?)
the questioners are simply trying to deal with their anxiety. At the extreme
you can find yourself in a situation where somebody is questioning the
theoretical basis for OS. If that happens, you might as well give up and
turn the morning over to a theoretical discussion. Now you might think that
reducing anxiety levels is a good thing (feeling comfortable) - but actually
I find that a good sense of anxiety/adventure is really a positive. Adds
some extra "oomph" to the start. The third reason I never answer questions
is that I "know" that most people will forget the answers AND they will
figure it out by themselves anyhow.

This last point is really important for me. When a group understands that
the meeting is really their own, and that they are responsible the
"empowerment quotient" goes up by many degrees.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html