Authenticity and self-discovery in Open Space

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Sat May 27 10:07:28 PDT 2006

Chris, Harrison, Lenore, everyone,

Thank you so much for contributing to this great discussion! Lenore -
great to see you here!

Chris - I think you have found something:

Open Space disappears after a while.  I think Harrison, you might
have had this experience in Japan recently if I'm not mistaken.
"Come and be with us," people say.  And it is because you are who you
are that people want you to be with them and work with them.  You
might not even do an Open Space. But when you do an Open Space, it
isn't anything special, it is just what you do.

For me, it has been interesting over the past 10 years of so watching
how Open Space has shaped who I am and how it has led me into
thinking about and seeing the world in different ways.  And these
ways of thinking and seeing, rooted as they are in an Open Space
worldview are pretty unusual still in the world at large.  So when I
show up in different settings asking questions that we ask if we come
out of an Open Space worldview, then it often seems as if a breath of
fresh air has come into the room.  Whether we end up doing an OST
even or not, it's that presence that seems to matter.

What I have learned is that presence is no mere accident.  It is the
result of years and years of practice, informed and supported by
folks like the ones on this list who fill my inbox with scads of
things to work on, to continue to refine my view of things.

My view does not always land with complete acceptance in others, and
probably most of us here have had the experience of people think we
were completely nuts.  That's fine with me.  I just don't work with
people who think I'm crazy.  I find though that the ones that do get
what I'm saying seem to have a hunger for this type of "being" in the
world and our working relationships become very deep.

For me trying to figure out who I am has the effect of wanting to
place a boundary around myself if only to make it easier to define
what is within.  The practice perspective does the opposite in my
experience...it allows me to continue growing more and more open and
even in doing so, find my core more and more reinforced.  It's when
the boundaries start slipping away, between work and practice,
between process and product, between Open Space technology and open
space, that things really get interesting.

And it feels like you're describing my life too! As you walk into the
front door of our home in North Carolina, the first thing you see is
several framed posters giving the foundations for the life of my
wife, myself, and everyong who is invited to our home (and by the way
everyone and anyone is welcome anyday, anytime to share our home - it
is an open invitation - our door is always unlocked and open even if
my wife and I are not avaialble to chat or even in the country).

One of the 4 posters invites you to live in Open Space - and that's
what we do in our home and our lives - so there are the principles
and the law for everyone to see as you walk in the door.

(The other 3 speek to the other levels on our journey into
authenticity, a moment to moment practice).

Harrison - I'd say you have definitely found something in Open Space
Technology.

with grace and love,

Zelle

Zelle Nelson
Engaging the Soul at Work/State of Grace Document/Know Place Like Home

www.stateofgracedocument.com

zelle at knowplacelikehome.com

work/home: 828.693.0802
mobile: 847.951.7030