Immigration OST

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue May 16 09:03:43 PDT 2006

I want to strongly echo Doug and Joelle's comment here.  Whether I am
working in an organizational or community setting, I have wholeheartedly
adopted this practice.  I call it "Inivitation Support" and it makes a huge
difference to ensuring that the invitation is right, that there is
investment in the process and it kick starts the whole "passion and
responsibility" thing.

In fact, I think I first started thinking really seriously about this when I
was talking to Doug Germann about another OST he did in his community on
giving and making good.  If I'm not mistaken Doug, you took a number of
people out for coffee or lunch and talked about what the event could be, and
whether they would come if they were invited.  Since then I have been a part
of some tremendous examples of invitation support, which I credit with
dynamic and powerful OST events whose legacies have lingered long after the
meeting.

Doug...thanks for sharing this story.

Chris

On 5/15/06, Joelle Lyons Everett <JLEShelton at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 5/15/06 7:46:04 PM, 76066.515 at compuserve.com writes:
>

> C. Another learning is this: It takes I think more than a group of 4 or 5
> inviters to make instant Open Space happen in larger scales. One person
> was
> active, inviting groups, inviting individuals. Another was less active,
> but
> still invited many. A third was in the midst of personal difficulties and
> probably invited only a few. And the last, I, invited several people, but
> did not have many contacts with people who were really invested in this
> issue. It is possible that these conversations produced our inviters for
> larger conversations to follow.
>

> Doug--
>
> In my experience, having more inviters is a good thing, and it helps if
> the inviters are from different segments of the community (different
> community systems such as government, education, business, social services;
> different neighborhoods; different socioeconomic levels; different interest
> groups).
>
> In planning a community forum in Shelton many years ago, one of the
> smartest things we did was to send letters to community organizations,
> inviting them to send a representative to a planning meeting.  This gave us
> an "inviter" inside a number of different groups--they were very helpful in
> encouraging participation, finding volunteers, ensuring a number of
> different points of view were represented at the forum.  You will likely
> find this true when planning for your next meeting.
>
> Sounds like a wonderful project--we're hearing a lot about this issue, but
> most often polarized, not from people coming together for thoughtful
> conversation.
>
> Joelle
> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

CHRIS CORRIGAN