innovative organizations--and community

Frank Deitle commoikos at gmail.com
Sat May 27 11:30:20 PDT 2006

Mark and OS friends,

I was going thru the some unread OSLIST emails today and discovered
this gem in Mark's wonderful post about "living an open space life."

"Anne Stadler suggested that the next experiment should be an
intentional community based on "Living in Open Space".  So she founded
the "Spirited Work Community" in 1999.  With that, our focus (Anne and
I) changed from predominantly organization-oriented OS to
community-oriented OS."

I'd like to hear more about the Spirited Work Community and open space
intentional communities in general. Ever since I discovered OST (or
did it discover me?) this year from the wonderful Lisa Heft, I have
fantasized about what a large-scale residential intentional
community/ecovillage/sustainable human settlement would be like if it
was visioned, organized, planned, executed, maintained, and governed
in Open Space. What kind of crazy, wonderful creature would that
become? What kind culture would emerge out of that? Are other people
out there thinking about this sort of thing? How do you see it
unfolding/coming about?

I recently started to build a website to explore my own
conceptualizations of such an endeavor. It is very much in its early
stages of development. It very well may be entirely naive. All I know
is that I can't stop thinking about it. The website is:
http://commoikos.googlepages.com.

Peace,
Frank Deitle