France OST Training - OST & Innovation

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Tue May 30 05:07:20 PDT 2006

Hi Raffi,

I agree with you about feeling OST should not now be described as innovative
and I understand and personally agree with your reasons why. The reality is
that for a very large number of people, it is still new. So it may ring a
bell for those who are at the stage of hearing it that way, and not for
others who are way past that stage of discovery.

OST is still innovative also in the sense that it is very much at the other
end of the spectrum when we look at the different methodologies that exist.
I would include in that end of the spectrum, approaches like the Circle and
Dialogue which are similar. I still see OST as singular in what it is. It
seems to be more adept at meeting organizations' preferences in their way of
addressing issues.

I would also say that the OST descriptive "innovation" can touch spirit in
the sense that it appeals to peoples' openness to other possibilities, to
something that brings life, new life where spirit may be suffering.

I like your idea of calling OST a "play space"! Thanks for the beautiful
picture. Some of my clients would be excited about it, others would consider
that too innovative, if you allow me the use of the word in this context.
But I like it and I will continue to search for juicy words to describe Open
Space Technology.

Diane