Introduction in an OS-meeting

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Fri Mar 31 06:32:05 PST 2006

I agree Thomas that is is an art of connecting to the sponsor where they
are at and then inviting and "inducing" the space in relation to the
context.  Here is something I sent yesterday to lovely Lisa that was
meant for the list.  She graciously repsonded and I hope gives me
permission to include her thoughts. And I agreed that we are, for the
most part on the same page.  I've included my response as well.

Lisa and Thomas:

Some more thoughts.

Thomas, sounds like the dialogue with a sponsor worked well.  I have
that dialogue with the sponsor in the planning and they normally do a
good job of articulating what needs to be said to create the focus for
the event (and what will be done with the results).  I disagree with
Lisa about what is said before an event, I think the sponsor's voice and
presence is necessary.  It is the sponsor's event and not the open space
facilitators.  That may "reduce" the space or energy but I don't think
so - it clarifies it.  It may not be the clarity that we like, but it is
their initiative to carry on.  So, their visible presence says something
to the room and clarifies the nature of the event.   Do the "people"
formally own it after the opeing-for sure!  But as Harrison's story from
Spain suggests, the sponsor can always step in and try to shut it down
one way or another if they get frightened that what they want will not
be accomplished.   I have had a very few sponsors do that, but they
tried (and usually the group rebelled and went on with the Open Space).
Understanding what the sponsor really wants and their worldview e.g
"results oriewnted", ahead of the event can be most helpful but not
always where they end up in the room.

Larry:
I am in the school of the way that Michael Pannwitz named it - it is the
sponsor's event, and I welcome them to intro it but in the 3 minute
version.  I definitely want their visible presence and I want them to
share their excitement and respect that so many great people have come
together to do great work.

And you are reminding me that whatever happens, and especially as the
event is the sponsor's baby, is the right thing.  So with what you're
saying I perhaps should let go of guarding that time so ferociously and
let the sponsor take whatever time it takes, eh?

Lisa:

I do my best to coach and convince the sponsor to put their remarks in
to 15 minutes max (a little more time that you prefer).  If they believe
more is absolutely necessary then I try to get them to do it the day
before, or if necessary have a time for presentation and clarification
in the morning and then a break before Opening the Space.

My guess is that it is not much different than what your values lead you
to do.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation