SV: Introduction in an OS-meeting

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Fri Mar 31 04:45:05 PST 2006

Dear friends
The participants of our training were truly amazed by the quick responses.
"Oooaoo, what a resource", they said. I guess some of them will be around.
Thanks again! These first two days went great, now we?ll meet again in June
to have the third day together. Homework is to open up space!

I agree with making the opening as short as possible and get out of the way.
I?ve mostly managed to get the sponsor to understand this but at times I
think he/she has taken too much space. Those memories trigged my interest.
But of course there?s always a HOW involved. A long conversation would of
course not add. The minimum could be to ask the sponsor - what do you want
with this/these days? On the other hand I think, so far, I?ve always had the
sponsor say the first words of welcome and addressing the theme etc.

In organizations where people are not used to true openness I think the role
ot the sponsor can be very important to show the space is truly open. At
times I?ve invited the sponsor to another time express his/her support of
the process when the reports are on the wall - before the
reopening/actionplanning. Is this something you do - at times like that?

Although I haven?t found a good translation of the word induction but
"creating the environment" makes sense. Information is only part of it. So
how do you induce? I think this is an art which cannot be gained by "reading
the book"!
Warmest regards
Thomas