Conflict in community

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 12:55:58 PST 2006

On 3/20/06, AT&T -- Mark R. Jones <mark_r_jones at att.net> wrote:

>             My experiments indicated that POP Seattle worked because it
> was
>              convened within the Spirited Work Community -- an OS-trained
> collective

A clarification:  Mark Jones was not a convenor of the Seattle PoP although
he was certainly one of the many participants 'os-trained' in the Spirited
Work collective. A minor point but when mark writes "my experiments
indicated' it sounded to me like  he was suggesting that his 'experiments'
were an explicit part of the Seattle PoP, which they were not.

>   When the integrity ("safety") of the container has been compromised, and
> the field
>     has collapsed -- then I deem the "Convening" as having failed to meet
> its objectives --
>       the Practice of Peace in Transforming Despair into Hope and Action.  (But
> I also deem
>       it to be a "Great Learning")

The Seattle PoP met and greatly exceeded its objectives.  Mark has written
giving the impression that our objective was 'transforming despair into hope
and action' when in actual fact, our invitation, which Mark did not create
since he was not a convenor, was "Embracing Chaos, Conflict and Confusion".
The Seattle PoP most certainly did meet its objectives, it most certainly
was a success and it was certainly much more than a great learning. As one
of the people who actually did design, convene and facilitate the Seattle
PoP, I have to strongly object to Mark's portrayal of the Seattle PoP as a
failed but great learning. Stephen Silha, Peggy Holman, me and others have
interviewed almost half of the participants of this event and without
exception, everyone has reported that it transformed them as individuals,
that it generated breathtaking new projects that continue to serve humanity,
and more.  If those kinds of results amount to no more than a 'great
learning' then give me all the great learnings I can get.  What better place
for great learnings than a school system?!

If, as I wrote earlier today, Chris, you have a client who has a vague
inkling that maybe having people better understand each other's realities,
then creating an OS-event with an objective such as "embracing chaos,
conflict and confusion" might achieve your client's goals.

--
Warmly,
Tree Fitzpatrick

NOTICE: This communication is intended to be confidential to the person to
whom it is addressed and is subject to copyright protection.  If you are not
the intended recipient or if you are unable to deliver this communication to
the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, or show it to any other
person, but notify the sender immediately.  Thank you.