whatever one says, people do whatever they want to do anyway

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 22:50:52 PST 2006

Filiz and Funda--

I agree with others that it sounds as if your Open Space was quite
productive, even if it did not happen exactly as you imagined it.

As I read your account, I thought that probably for most people, this was
their first Open Space meeting.   And I remembered something that happened on
Saturday.   Paul and I went to a funeral for the father of our son's wife.   It
was held at a small Catholic church in a small town.   Because the father had
been a policeman for many years, and was the chief of police, there were a
number of city officials and police officers present who were not church members,
and in the extended family there were many small children.

Before the service started, someone stood up and said that she was happy to
welcome guests to the service, and because many were strangers, she would
describe the service briefly, so we would understand what was happening.   She gave
a simple explanation of each step of the liturgy, pointing out where everyone
would join in, and what special things family members would be doing.   I
noticed that it made it much easier for me and my young granddaughter to follow
the service and join in the hymns and prayers.

When I facilitate OS, I usually, like Birgitt, post a schedule that lists the
activities and times.   I also quickly outline the activities of the day, and
if the sponsor has asked for action planning, I mention the time for that
during my introduction.   Sometimes a simple outline of the schedule is included
in the invitation, so people know what to expect.

But I have also observed that Open Space conversations can be very intense,
and sometimes, by the end of the day, some people are tired, or maybe just need
time to reflect on all they have heard.   And as much as I enjoy a closing
circle, there have been times that it just did not feel appropriate when we got
to that point. "When it's over, it's over." This doesn't mean that you have
done anything wrong.

I'm pleased for both of you that you are realizing your dream of opening
space in Turkey!

Joelle