whatever one says, people do whatever they want to do anyway

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Mon Mar 6 08:16:13 PST 2006

Filiz and Funda,

It sounds like your OS on public transport was very productive ... The only
thing that could have happened did.

It¹s my experience in open space that I don¹t decide what people are ever
capable of when I invite them to invite others into conversation about what
matters to them. In some cases, many people are several new conversations
and connections away from action, individually or collectively. What I am
clear on is that people only get into action when they¹re ready. If in
reality, people are 20 open spaces away from successful action, and I happen
to open space number 1 or 10, my job is to tend the garden to its next level
toward harvest.

So on the practical side, it means sustaining the invitations until people
either stop showing up or they feel complete in experiencing their power.

Or as one of my favorite movie lines goes:

The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient.

Thanks so much for sharing the story and the questions.

Jack

jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.com